Cooking zucchinis doesn’t require a lot of effort. There are many ways to cook zucchini, including grilling, sautéing, roasting, steaming and boiling. Zucchini, also known as courgette, is a low-calorie summer squash. Whatever cooking method should you choose, we will give you the cooking times! Translation in French: courgette.
How do I cook zucchinis?
- Preparing zucchini
- Cooking zucchini in a pan (sautéed)
- Cooking zucchini on a grill (barbecued)
- Cooking zucchini in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking zucchini in a steamer
- Cooking zucchini in a pot (in water)
- Cooking zucchini in a microwave oven
- Cooking zucchini with an air fryer
Regardless of the cooking method, be sure not to overcook zucchini as it can become mushy and lose its texture. Experiment with different cooking methods to find the one that you like the most!
What to pair zucchini with?
To prepare zucchini (or courgettes), wash the zucchini in water.
Depending on how you want to eat/cook them, either
- Cut them in even slices (1/8 to 1/6-inch thick)
- Peel them and cut them in even slices (1/8 to 1/6-inch thick)
- Cut them in cubes (1/2-inch in size)
- Peel them and cut them in cubes (1/2-inch in size)
Cooking zucchinis in a pan
Cooking zucchinis in a pan. Sautéing zucchini will bring out its natural sweetness. Here’s how to do it:
1. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a bit of olive oil.
2. Add the zucchini slices to the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté the zucchini for 4-6 minutes, or until it is tender and starting to brown.
3. Optional: at the 3 min mark, add minced garlic to the pan.
Ratatouille, or how to possibly make a mess
If you are preparing a ratatouille, pay attention to the different cooking times for all the vegetables you are using in your recipe. Prepare your vegetables in separate bowls and add them to your pan/skillet. Start with the longest cooking vegetable (onions), then add bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant. Finish with tomatoes.
Cooking zucchinis on a grill
Cooking zucchinis on a grill. Grilling zucchini can give it a smoky, charred flavor.
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Place the zucchini slices (1/2_inch thick) on the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until tender and grill marks appear.
Cooking zucchini in an oven
Cooking zucchini in an oven. Roasting zucchini will bring out its natural sweetness.
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
2. Prepare the zucchinis and slice them into 1/4-inch rounds.
3. Place the sliced zucchinis in a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle them with salt and black pepper and toss to coat evenly.
4. Spread the zucchini slices out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Make sure they’re not overlapping.
5. Roast the zucchinis in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and tender. You can flip them halfway through cooking to ensure they roast evenly.
Cooking zucchinis in a steamer
Cooking zucchinis in a steamer. You might want to steam zucchini for a healthy side dish. Here’s how to do it:
1. Wash the zucchini and cut it into 1/4-inch slices.
2. Fill a pot with 1 cup of water and place a steamer basket inside. Place the zucchini in the steamer basket and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the zucchini steam for 5-7 minutes, or until it is tender but still crisp.
Cooking zucchinis in a pot
Cooking zucchinis in a pot. Boiling zucchini is a quick and easy way to cook it, and it can be used in soups, stews, and casseroles.
1. Cut the zucchinis into 1-inch slices
2. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil.
3. Add the zucchinis to the boiling water.
4. Cook the zucchinis for 4-5 minutes, or until they are tender but still slightly firm.
Cooking zucchini in a microwave oven
To cook zucchini in a microwave oven, start by preparing them and slicing them (quite thinly)
1. Arrange the zucchini slices in a dish or plate; add a pinch of salt,
2. Cover your dish with cling film (make sure it is hermetically sealed).
3. Cook for 5 minutes at 900 W.
Cooking zucchinis with an air fryer
Cooking zucchinis with an air fryer. If you own an air fryer, you can cook zucchini with your air fryer. Simply:
1. Cut zucchini into slices
2. Add 1 spoon of vegetable oil for 1.5 lbs of zucchini. Add 5 oz of water (2/3 of a cup)
3. Cook for 25 to 35 minutes.
Zucchini is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium.