You can cook eggplants in several ways to cook eggplants, including grilling, roasting, frying, and sautéing. Depending on the cooking method you’ll choose, we will give you accurate cooking times and temperatures for eggplants. Eggplants are also known as aubergines. Eggplants have a spongy, absorbent texture and a slightly bitter taste. Once cooked, they are delicious. Beware of the amount of oil you might use for cooking eggplants: since eggplants are very absorbent, well, they can absorb a lot of oil… Translation in French: aubergine
Cooking time eggplant
How do I cook eggplants?
- Preparing eggplants
- Cooking eggplant on a grill (barbecued)
- Cooking eggplant in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking eggplant halves in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking fried eggplants
- Cooking eggplants in a pan (sauteed)
- Cooking eggplants in an air fryer
What to pair eggplants with?
Eggplants can be eaten with a tomato sauce. They go well with beef, barbecued sausages, pork roast, lamb.
You can add them to your ratatouille recipe, or your favorite moussaka.
Depending on the recipe you have chosen, preparing eggplant is quite easy.
Wash the eggplant and pat it dry. You can either:
- Cut it in halves lengthwise (for roasting)
- Peel it and dice it (for roasting or frying)
- Cut the eggplant in even slices (for roasting or frying): the thinner the slices, the shorter the cooking time !
No matter which cooking method you choose, it’s important to slice the eggplants into even rounds or slices in order to ensure that they cook evenly.
Cooking eggplant on a grill. Grilled eggplants (cooking eggplants on a grill) are a delicious and healthy option that can be served on their own or as part of a salad or sandwich.
1. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
2. Slice the eggplants into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings.
3. Place the eggplant slices under the grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until tender.
Cooking eggplants in an oven. Roasting eggplants (cooking eggplants in an oven) are another tasty option that can be paired with many ingredients, such as tomatoes, garlic, and herbs.
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Slice the eggplants into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt, pepper (or any other seasoning).
3. Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and golden brown. Add a couple of minutes if needed.
Cook eggplant halves oven
Cooking eggplant halves in the oven. Roasted eggplant halves can be used for a variety of dishes (Mediterranean caviar for instance)
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. On a baking tray, add your eggplant halves: criss-cross them with a knife and brush the flesh with olive oil. Season to taste.
3. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and golden brown.
4. Once cool, scoop out the flesh.
Cooking fried eggplants. Fried eggplants are often breaded and fried until crispy, and can be served as a side dish or as part of a main meal.
1. Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and let it heat up.
2. Once the oil is hot, add the eggplant slices to the skillet.
3. Cook the eggplant for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until it is tender and browned.
4. Season to taste and serve!
Cooking eggplants in a pan
Cooking eggplants in a pan. Sautéed eggplants (eggplants cooked in a pan) are a quick and easy option: you only need a skillet with a little bit of oil and your favorite seasonings.
1. Dice 2 medium eggplants. The cubes should be around ½-inch.
2. Place the eggplant cubes in a colander, and sprinkle them with salt. Let them sit for 30 minutes to release excess moisture. Then, rinse the eggplant cubes, and pat them dry with a paper towel.
3. Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add the eggplant cubes and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Optional: add garlic, basil and/or grated Parmesan cheese.
Air fryer eggplants
Cooking eggplants with an air fryer is decidedly easy
1. Preheat your air fryer at 375°F (190°C)
2. Cut the eggplants into chucks (around 1 inch in size) and place them in the air fryer basket. Add garlic (either fresh or powdered) if you want
3. Cook for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Eggplants are a nutritious and delicious addition to any meal, and with so many different cooking methods to choose from, there’s sure to be a recipe that everyone will enjoy.