Cooking Lima beans. Lima beans are also known as butter beans. There are many ways to cook Lima beans, such as boiling, pressure cooking, slow cooking and baking. No matter which method you choose to cook Lima beans, we have cooking times and cooking temperatures for you! Translation in French: Haricots de Lima.
How do I cook Lima beans?
- Preparing Lima beans
- Cooking Lima beans in a pot (in water)
- Cooking Lima beans with a pressure cooker
- Cooking Lima beans with a slow cooker
- Cooking Lima beans in an oven (roasted)
Preparing Lima beans
Here are simple steps to prepare Lima beans.
Sort through the beans and remove discolored beans. Rinse them in cold water to remove any dirt. If you’re using dried Lima beans, you may need to soak them overnight to reduce cooking time. This step is optional (but recommended!)
Cook Lima beans in pot
Cooking Lima beans in a pot. To boil Lima beans:
1. Place the Lima beans in a pot and cover them with water.
2. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
3. Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process.
Pressure cooker Lima beans
Cooking Lima beans with a pressure cooker. If you have a pressure cooker, you can cook Lima beans in just a fraction of the time.
1. Add the Lima beans to the pressure cooker with enough water to cover them.
2. Cook for 25-30 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
Slow cooker Lima beans
To cook Lima beans in a slow cooker:
1. Add the Lima beans to the pot with enough water to cover them.
2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the beans are tender.
Baked Lima beans
Cooking Lima beans in an oven. To bake Lima beans:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Mix the Lima beans with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and any other seasonings you like.
3. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the beans are golden brown and crispy.