Cooking shrimp. Shrimps can be cooked in different ways, depending on your preference and the dish you’re making. You can boil, grill, saute or stir-fry them. Whatever you choose, we’ll have cooking times for you! Translation in French: crevettes.
How do I cook shrimps?
- Preparing shrimps
- Cooking shrimps in a pot (in water)
- Cooking shrimp on a grill
- Cooking shrimp in a pan
- Cooking shrimp in a wok (stir-fried)
What to pair shrimps with?
Shrimps can be served as a main dish, appetizer, or added to soups, salads, and pasta dishes.
You can serve shrimp with pasta or rice. Shrimps pair really well with tomatoes and onions (that’s a no-fail combination). You can also think about shrimp cocktail or shrimp tacos.
You’ll need to prepare shrimps before cooking:
Fresh shrimps are usually sold in supermarkets already peeled and deveined, or with the shell still on.
If you buy them with the shell still on, you’ll need to peel and devein them before cooking. To do this, start by removing the legs and then the shell. Once the shell is removed, make a shallow cut along the back of the shrimp and remove the black vein. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
If you want to grill shrimps, you can forgo peeling the shrimp (and pop them whole on the grill or the BBQ).
If you’re using frozen shrimp, simply thaw them in the fridge before cooking them.
Cooking shrimps in a pot
Cooking shrimps in a pot. Boiling shrimp is very basic, but you’ll need to if you want to prepare a shrimp cocktail for instance.
1. Fill a pot with enough water to cover the shrimps and add a pinch of salt.
2. Bring the water to a boil, add the shrimps, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they turn pink.
Cooking shrimp on a grill
Cooking shrimp on a grill. Grilling shrimp can be done whole or peeled
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season the shrimps with salt, pepper, and any other spices or herbs you like (or marinate them if you cook them whole).
2. Grill the shrimps for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they turn pink.
Cooking shrimp in a pan
Cooking shrimp in a pan. Sauteing shrimp is the easiest way to cook them:
1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add the shrimps and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they turn pink and opaque.
Cooking shrimp in a wok
Cooking shrimp in a wok. Stir-frying shrimp is great: you can do a delicious fried rice or fried noodles that way.
1. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large pan over high heat.
2. Add the shrimps and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until they turn pink and slightly curled.
Shrimp is a shellfish that is widely consumed around the world. It is a low-calorie and low-fat protein source that is also rich in vitamins and minerals.
Shrimp and prawns are both types of crustaceans that are similar in appearance and taste. However, there are a few key differences between the two.
- Prawns are found in freshwater or brackish water, while shrimp are more commonly found in saltwater.
- In general, prawns are larger than shrimp. However, there are many different species of both, so the size can vary widely.
- Shrimp have a slightly curved body, while prawns have a more straight body.
Why did the shrimp refuse to share his treasure? Because he was a little shellfish!