Cooking white beans. White beans, also known as navy beans or haricot beans, can be cooked in several ways, including boiling, pressure cooking, and simmering. Whatever cooking method should you choose, we will give you cooking times! Translation in French: Haricots blancs.
How do I cook white beans?
- Preparing white beans
- Cooking white bean in a pot (in water)
- Cooking white beans in a pressure cooker
What to pair white beans with?
White beans can be used in a white bean salad, white bean dip (excellent with tortillas) or a white bean stew. You can even substitute beans for meat in chili recipes for a vegetarian-friendly version. White beans pair really well with tomato sauce (baked beans anyone?). Serve them with pork roast, gammon, sausages or roasted tomatoes or green cabbage.
Preparing white beans
You’ll need to prepare your dry white beans before cooking them. Rinse them thoroughly under cold running water to remove any dirt. You may also want to soak the beans overnight to reduce cooking time and make them easier to digest. To soak the beans, simply place them in a large bowl, cover with plenty of water, and let them soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain the soaking water before cooking.
If you use canned beans, simply drain and rinse them.
Cooking white beans in a pot
Cooking white beans in a pot. Boiling is the simplest method: you just need to add the beans to a pot of boiling water and cook them until they are tender.
1. Place the rinsed and drained beans in a large pot and cover with water
2. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans until tender. This can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the age and freshness of the beans.
3. Add salt or other seasonings to taste during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
Cooking white beans with a pressure cooker
Cooking white beans with a pressure cooker. Pressure cooking is a faster method, as it uses high pressure to cook the beans more quickly.
If you want to save time and energy when cooking dry beans, simply use a pressure cooker!
1. Rinse the dry beans
2. Put them in the pressure cooker and cover them with 3 times their volume of water
3. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 35-45 minutes (after the cooking pressure has been reached)
White beans, also known as navy beans or haricot beans, are high in protein and fiber. They are a good source of nutrients such as iron, potassium, and B vitamins. White beans are also a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.