Cooking Italian sausages. You can grill Italian sausages, fry them in a pan, bake them in an oven or even boil them in a pot! We’ll explain the different cooking methods with their respective cooking time (and temperature) of course! Translation in French: saucisse de Toulouse.
How do I cook an Italian sausage?
- Preparing an Italian sausage
- Cooking an Italian sausage on a barbecue
- Cooking an Italian sausage in a pan
- Cooking an Italian sausage in an oven
- Cooking an Italian sausage in a pot
What to pair Italian sausages with?
Serve your Italian sausages with sautéed peppers and onions for a sausage sandwich. Pair italian sausages with cooked pasta, tomato sauce, and grated cheese. Grilled eggplants, zucchinis, bell peppers, and onions work particularly well with Italian sausages.
Preparing Italian sausages
If you are using pre-made sausages, there is nothing to do but choose your cooking method!
If you are making them from scratch, you’ll need ground pork and spices (such as fennel seeds, garlic, paprika, black pepper, and sometimes red pepper flakes). Mix the ground pork with the spices thoroughly, and if desired, stuff the mixture into casings for a traditional sausage shape.
BBQ Italian sausages
Cooking Italian sausages on a BBQ. The best way to enjoy an Italian sausage is by cooking it on a barbecue!
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat or your BBQ
2. Grill the sausages for about 12-15 minutes, turning them occasionally until they are evenly browned and heated through. The sausages need to reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°F) to be fully cooked.
Cook Italian sausages in pan
Cooking Italian sausages in a pan. Why don’t you try pan-frying Italian sausages?
1. Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil.
2. Cook the sausages for approximately 3-4 minutes, then turn the sausages and cook for another 7-10 minutes. Do not pierce the sausage’s skin with a fork/knife. The sausages should be browned on all sides and reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) to be fully cooked.
Roasted Italian sausages
You can also cook Italian sausages in an oven.
1. Preheat your oven at 360°F (180°C)
2. Place the Italian sausages in an oven-safe dish. You can even wrap them in aluminum foil (so you can keep you oven clean)
3. Cook for 30-35 minutes (turn the sausages halfway through). The sausages should be lightly brown and crusty on the outside.
Cook Italian sausages in pot
You can also cook Italian sausages in a pot (on the stove)
1. Place the sausages in a pot and cover them with water or broth.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Check the internal temperature, and if needed, cook a bit longer until it reaches 160°F (71°C).
Italian sausages are made from a mixture of ground pork and fat. The ratio of meat to fat may vary depending on personal preference and regional variations (generally, a combination of lean pork and fatty cuts like pork shoulder or belly is used).