Cooking onions. Onions are a staple ingredient in many kitchens and cooking styles. They add flavor, depth, and balance to dishes. Onions can be sauteed, roasted or even microwaved! Whatever cooking method should you choose, we will give you cooking times and cooking temperatures! Translation in French: oignon.
How do I cook onions?
- Preparing onions
- Cooking onions in a pan (sauteed)
- Cooking caramelized onions in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking onions in a microwave oven
What to pair onions with?
Onions can be paired with roast beef, roasted chicken, rice and stir-fries. They are a perfect addition to soups, stews, sauces, and casseroles. Onions can also be used to top pizzas or as a stuffing for mushrooms or bell peppers. Sautée onions with zucchini, tomatoes, eggplants and bell peppers for a ratatouille!
Here are simple steps to prepare onions:
Peel the onion (using a sharp knife, cut off the root end and the top of the onion, remove the papery outer layer as well). Depending on the recipe, you may need to chop the onion into small pieces, slice it into thin strips, or dice it into medium-sized chunks.
- For chopping, make vertical cuts from the top of the onion to the root end, without cutting all the way through. Then, make horizontal cuts in the onion, again without cutting all the way through. Finally, make downward cuts, chopping the onion into small pieces.
- For slicing, cut the onion in half from root to top and then slice each half into thin strips. For dicing, make vertical and horizontal cuts as for chopping, but then turn the onion 90 degrees and make downward cuts.
Cooking onions in a pan. Depending on the onions’ color, the time required to sauté the onions (cook the onions in a pan) will change slightly.
1. Cut your onions. Put them in a heated skillet with oil.
2. Sautee for 5-7 minutes (yellow, red and white onions) or 8-10 minutes (sweet onions).
3. If you cook them longer (10-15 minutes), the onions will caramelize
Roasted caramelized onions
Cooking caramelized onions in an oven. Cooking caramelized onions in the oven is a favorite of mine. Here’s how I do it:
1. Preheat the oven at 400°F (200°C)
2. Cut onions very thinly (cut as many as you can; use goggles to prevent crying)
3. Put them on a cooking sheet; drizzle with olive oil, add a bit of water and season to taste
4. Roast for 45 minutes; stir every 15 minutes
Cook onions in microwave oven
Cooking onions in a microwave oven. I usually use microwaved onions on pizza.
1. Peel the onions and cut them in thin slices.
2. Put them on a plate and cover them with cling film /plastic wrap
3. Microwave for 2 minutes. (Warning: be careful when you remove the cling film, it is extremely hot!)
There are different varieties of onions:
Yellow Onions: These are the most common onions, with a golden-brown skin. They have a mild and sweet flavor that makes them ideal for soups, stews, and sauces.
Red Onions: Red onions have a crisp and slightly sweet flavor. They are best used raw in salads, sandwiches, or as a garnish for tacos and other Mexican dishes.
White Onions: White onions are sharp and pungent in taste. They are great for pickling or caramelizing and are often used in Mexican cuisine.
Sweet Onions: Sweet onions are incredibly sweet and have a mild flavor. They are perfect for grilling or roasting and make a delicious addition to sandwiches and salads.