Cooking popcorn. Who doesn’t lilke popcorn? Whether you buy it prepacked or decide to cook it on the stove, in the microwave or in an air fryer, we’ll help and give you cooking instructions (with cooking times and temperatures)! Translation in French: popcorn or maïs soufflé (in Québec)
How do I cook popcorn?
- Cooking popcorn on the stove (in a pan)
- Cooking popcorn in a microwave oven
- Cooking popcorn in an air fryer
Cooking popcorn on the stove
Cooking popcorn on the stove. You like Jiffy Pop but have a hard time finding the aluminium pan in stores? We have the solution for you : cook popcorn from scratch. It’s cheap and easy.
1. Heat 3 tbs of vegetable oil (I prefer coconut oil) in a large saucepan.
2. Add a bit of corn kernels (no stacking you want them to pop quickly and be able to remove them as soon as they’ve popped (and before they burn). Cover your saucepan with a lid. Count 30 seconds. You should hear the kernels pop.
3. Get the saucepan out of the heat and remove the popped corn (popcorn) with a slotted spoon. Have a large bowl ready for your popcorn (and refrain from eating them straight away)
4. Start again with a new stack of kernels. Do not cook too many at a time!
Cooking popcorn in a microwave oven
Cooking popcorn in a microwave oven. Sure, you can buy Popcorn ready to cook in a microwave oven : you’ll only have to follow the instructions… You can also do your own : buy kernels, get a brown paper bag and pop!
1. Mix 1/2 cup of corn kernels with 1 tsp of vegetable oil and a bit of salt in a bowl.
2. Put everything in a brown paper bag. Close it.
3. Cook for 2 and a half minutes (no more than 3 minutes) : you should hear the kernels pop : once the popping slows down to a pop every 2 seconds, stop cooking.
4. Remove the kernels carefully from the bag (they’ll be piping hot!)
Cooking popcorn in an air fryer
Cooking popcorn in an air fryer. Why not pop corn in your air fryer?
1. Preheat your air fryer at 400°F (200°C).
2. Put 1/4 cup of corn kernels in your air fryer basket. Spray a little oil (I really like coconut oil). Add a sprinkle of salt if you like.
3. Cook for 5 minutes or less (listen to the popping sounds, once it slows down, it’s nearly cooked). Do not open the basket too soon (the corn might pop into your face)
4. Get ready for another batch (reuse the unpopped kernels from last time)