Cooking scallops. There are many ways to cook scallops, such as grilling, pan-searing or frying. No matter how you choose to cook your scallops, we have cooking time for you! Translation in French: coquille Saint Jacques.
How do I cook scallops?
- Preparing scallops
- Cooking scallops in a pan
- Cooking scallops on a grill
- Cooking scallops in an oven (baked)
Here’s how to prepare scallops.
Most fresh scallops that you’ll find in supermarkets are sold already shucked, which means that the tough adductor muscle that attaches the scallop to its shell has been removed. This makes them much easier to work with in the kitchen. If not, then just put the bottom part of the scallop shell (with the tough muscle) on a gas stove for 1-2 seconds, and the scallop will open.
Before cooking, it’s important to make sure that your scallops are completely dry (use a paper towel). This will help them sear properly and develop a nice golden crust.
If you’re using frozen scallops, thaw them overnight before cooking.
Cooking scallops in a pan
Here’s how to pan-sear scallops:
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil or butter, then add the scallops.
2. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
Do not overcook the scallops or they might become hard and chewy.
Cooking scallops on a grill
Here are the steps to follow to cook grilled scallops:
1. Heat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Thread the scallops onto skewers, then grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Cooking scallops in an oven
Baked scallops are really, really good. Simply do this:
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Arrange the scallops in a single layer in a baking dish. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Optional: add bearcrumbs or panko.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through (the flesh should be opaque).
You can also slice the scallops and cook them in the oven. The cooking time will be around 5-6 minutes (depending on the thickness)
Scallops are a type of shellfish that belong to the mollusk family. They are a popular delicacy in many parts of the world, known for their sweet and delicate flavor.