Cooking squid is not a (squid) game! There are many ways to cook squid, and the cooking time will depend on the method you choose (such as grilling, frying or sauteing). Translation in French: calamar, calmar, supion, encornet.
How do I cook squid?
What to pair squid with?
You can serve squid with a simple squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of sea salt, or with an aioli sauce. Squid pairs well with red peppers, sauteed spinach, or grilled asparagus.
Here’s how to prepare squid. You can usually find squid sold in the seafood section of most supermarkets, either fresh or frozen.
Fresh squid can be purchased whole or cleaned, while frozen squid is typically sold cleaned and sliced into rings or tubes.
If you bought a whole squid, you’ll need to clean it before cooking. To do this, start by removing the head and tentacles from the body. Discard the head and set the tentacles aside. Reach inside the body and pull out the internal organs, then rinse again the body and tentacles under cold running water.
Cooking squid on a grill
Cooking squid on a grill. Here’s what you should do to grill squid:
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Brush the squid with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the squid for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through.
Cooking squid in a fryer
Cooking squid in a fryer. Here’s how to fry calamari:
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer until it reaches 375°F (180°C).
2. Dredge the squid in a mixture of flour, salt, and pepper, shaking off any excess.
3. Fry the squid in batches for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
Cooking squid in a pan
Cooking squid in a pan. Sauteing squid might be the quickest way to cook it. To saute squid:
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the squid and saute for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges.
Squid is a mollusk like clams, oysters, and octopuses. Unlike its eight-legged cousin (octopus), squid has a long and slender body with ten tentacles. These tentacles are used for movement and catching prey.