Cooking corn on the cob or kernels. Corn is a summertime staple. Whether you’re grilling, roasting, or boiling, there are plenty of ways to cook corn: on the cob or in kernels! No matter which method you choose to cook corn, we have cooking times and temperatures for you! Translation in French: maïs.
How do I cook corn?
Corn on the cob
- Cooking corn on the cob in a pot (on the stove)
- Cooking corn on the cob on a grill (barbecued)
- Cooking corn on the cob in a microwave oven
What to pair corn with?
Corn on the cob is always a hit with summertime BBQ. Use cooked corn kernels in many recipes such as grilled corn salad or corn fritters. Serve corn with tomatoes, rice or beets. Pair corn with hamburgers (on the grill), sausages or prime ribs!
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to prepare corn:
1. Remove the husks: Peel off the outer layer of the corn, including the silk threads underneath. That’s it for corn on the cob.
2. If needed: Remove the kernels: Cut off the stem end of the corn and stand it upright on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice downwards, cutting the kernels off the cob.
Cooking corn on the cob in a pot. Boiling corn on the cob is the surest way to achieve the result you’re looking for (perfectly cooked corn on the stove)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then add the corn on the cob.
2. Boil for 4-6 minutes or until the kernels are tender.
Grilled corn on the cob
Cooking corn on the cob on a grill. There is no such thing as a BBQ without corn on the cob!
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Brush the corn with a little bit of oil, season with salt and pepper, and place them directly on the grill.
2. Cook for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the kernels are slightly charred.
Microwave corn on the cob
Cooking corn on the cob with a microwave oven. Quick and easy: microwaving corn on the cob:
1. Place the corn in a microwave-safe dish and add a tablespoon of water.
2. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and microwave for 3-5 minutes or until the kernels are tender.
Cook corn in pot
Cooking corn in a pot. Boiling corn is a quick and easy way to cook it, and it’s the perfect method if you need to cook a large batch.
1. Fill a pot with enough water to cover the corn. Add salt to the water and bring the water to a boil.
2. Add the corn to the pot. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the kernels are tender.
3. Drain the corn and serve.
Cooking corn in an oven. Roasting corn is an excellent option to cook it. Here’s how to roast corn:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the corn kernels out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle the corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the corn for 15-20 minutes or until the kernels are golden brown.
Corn is a very nutritious food, rich in fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins such as vitamin C and vitamin B6. Corn is also a good source of minerals like zinc, iron, and magnesium.