Cooking a wiener or a frankfurter. Fancy a hotdog? You’ll need to cook a wiener (Vienna sausage), that’s also called a frankfurter (frank): you can grill them, fry them or cook them in water (on the stove). We’ll explain the different cooking methods with their respective cooking time of course! Translation in French: saucisse de Strasbourg.
How do I cook a wiener?
- Preparing a wiener
- Cooking a wiener on a BBQ
- Cooking a wiener in a pan
- Cooking a wiener in a pot (in water)
- Cooking a wiener in a microwave oven
- Cooking a wiener in an oven
What to pair wieners with?
Serve your wiener sausages in soft buns or rolls, and add your favorite condiments such as mustard, ketchup, relish, or sauerkraut. Eat wieners with potato salad, grilled bell peppers, onions, and zucchini or pickles!
Preparing a wiener
Preparing a wiener. Wiener sausages are usually pre-cooked and cured: they are ready to eat without any additional preparation. Before cooking, it’s important to pierce the sausages a few times with a fork. This helps to prevent them from bursting during cooking and allows the heat to penetrate evenly.
Cooking a wiener on a BBQ
Cooking a wiener on a BBQ. The best way to enjoy a frank or a wiener is by cooking it on a grill (hello summertime barbecue!)
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat
2. Grill the sausages for about 2-3 minutes, turning them occasionally until they are evenly browned and heated through.
Cooking a wiener in a pan
Cooking a wiener in a pan. Why don’t you try pan-frying wieners?
1. Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil or butter.
2. Cook the sausages for approximately 6-8 minutes, turning them frequently until they are golden brown and heated through.
Cooking a wiener in a pot
Cooking a wiener in a pot. Boiling wieners is the easiest: you just need a pot and a stove!
1. Boil water in a pot
2. Place the frankfurter sausages in the pot of boiling water and let them cook for about 7-10 minutes (depending on the number of sausages cooked simultaneously). This method is quick and convenient when you want to cook sausages in large batches or if you prefer a softer texture.
Cooking a wiener in a microwave oven
Cook your wiener in a microwave oven; it’s by far the quickest way to cook it. You have 2 ways to proceed
1. Leave the wieners (or frankfurters) in their closed package and cook them for 1 minute
2. Alternatively, get the franks out of the package they were sold in. Put them in a bowl of water and cook them in the microwave oven for 3-5 minutes.
Cooking a wiener in an oven
You can also cook franks in an oven.
1. Preheat your oven at 400°F (200°C)
2. Place the wieners in an oven-safe dish. Use a knife to cut the sausages lengthwise.
3. Cook for 15 minutes (turn the sausages halfway through)
Wiener sausages, also known as Vienna sausages or frankfurters, are made from a mixture of finely ground pork and beef. They are often seasoned with spices, such as salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and sometimes even a touch of mustard.