Cooking chestnuts is not as hard as it seems! There are several ways to cook chestnuts: air fryer, boiling, roasting, grilling and even microwaving!
Regardless of the cooking method, we have cooking times and temperatures for you! Remember, it is important to cut a small X on the flat side of each chestnut before cooking to prevent them from exploding. Enjoy! Translation in French: châtaigne.
How do I cook chestnuts?
- Preparing chestnuts
- Cooking chestnuts in an air fryer
- Cooking chestnuts in a pot
- Cooking chestnuts in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking chestnuts on a grill (barbecued)
- Cooking chestnuts in microwave
What to pair chestnuts with?
Chestnuts are great with turkey, chicken roast or a pork roast!
To prepare chestnuts: Wash and dry chestnuts. With a knife, cut a small X on the flat side of each chestnut.
Air fryer chestnuts
How to roast chestnuts in an air fryer. Air frying is a great way to cook chestnuts.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
2. Prepare the chestnuts and soak them in boiling water for up to 5 minutes, depending on their size.
3. Place them in the air fryer with 1 cup of hot water.
4. Cook for 10 minutes. It should be ok. If not, add 1⁄2 cup of water and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Cook chestnuts in pot
How to cook chestnuts in a pot (on the stove):
1. Fill a pot of water and bring it to a boil.
2. Cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until the shells start to peel off.
Cooking chestnuts in an oven. You can also roast chestnuts (cook chestnuts in the oven or on an open fire). Here’s what to do:
1. Preheat your oven at 350°F (180°C)
2. Place the chestnuts on a baking sheet and roast for about 20-30 minutes.
Cooking chestnuts on a grill. Grilling chestnuts is a super fun way to cook them, especially on a barbecue.
1. Simply wrap the chestnuts in foil
2. Grill over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes.
Cook chestnuts in microwave
Cooking chestnuts in microwave. Here’s what you should do to microwave chestnuts (cook chestnuts in a microwave oven):
1. Wrap the prepared chestnuts in damp paper towels
2. Microwave on high for about 2-3 minutes. (Be careful not to burn yourself afterwards)
Chestnuts are a type of round nuts, with a hard outer shell and a sweet, creamy flesh. Chestnuts are a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and they are lower in fat and calories compared to other types of nuts.