Cooking yams. Yams look like sweet potatoes but are a completely different vegetable!
You don’t have to wait for the holiday seasons to cook yams! There are many ways to cook yams such as roasting, boiling, frying and mashing. Whatever you choose, we have cooking times for you! Translation in French: patate douce.
How do I cook yams?
- Preparing yams
- Cooking yams in an oven (baked or roasted)
- Cooking yams in a pan (fried)
- Cooking yams in a pot (in water)
- Cooking mashed yams
- Cooking yams on a grill (barbecued)
What to pair yams with?
Yams pair well with meats such as roasted chicken, pork roast, and roast beef, as well as with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. They can also be used in stews, soups, and casseroles or as a side dish for a holiday meal. Serve yams with roasted potatoes or carrots.
Here are simple steps to prepare yams:
Wash and peel the skin using a vegetable peeler. Cut the yams into desired sizes for cooking.
Feeling lazy? You don’t necessarily need to peel yams to cook (especially the smaller ones, because they’re tender), just slice the ends out and off you go!
Cooking yams in an oven
Cooking yams in an oven. Baking yams is a great way of preparing them.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Place the yams on a baking sheet; spray them with a little oil of your choice (+ spices if you want to) and bake for 30-40 minutes until they are tender.
Feeling lazy? Use parchment paper so your oven cleaning time is reduced to… zero!
Cooking yams in a pan with oil
Cooking yams in a pan with oil. Frying yams is super quick (think about yam fries… super yummy!)
Here’s what to do:
1. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add the yams and fry them for 8-10 minutes, or until they are crispy and browned.
Cooking yams in a pot
Cooking yams in a pot. Boiling yams is probably the most common method, as it is quick and easy. To boil yams:
1. Peel and cut yams into 1-inch cubes and place them in a pot of boiling water.
2. Cook them for 8-10 minutes, or until they are tender.
You can also boil the whole yams (peeled but not diced): the cooking time will be 20-25 minutes
Feeling lazy? Forgo peeling and just cut the yams in 2. Depending on the size (yes, size is important), it will take you around 20 minutes.
Cooking mashed yams
Cooking mashed yams. Mashed yams are a must. Here’s how to do it.
1. Boil the yams until they are tender (8-10 minutes if diced).
2. Drain the water and mash the yams with a potato masher until they are smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a bit of cooking water.
Optional : use diced cheese and cover each cheese cube with mashed yams. Roll in panko and fry!
Cooking yams on a grill
Cooking yams on a grill. To grill yams:
1. Slice yams into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place them on a grill over medium heat.
2. Coat them with a little oil then grill them for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until they are tender and caramelized.
When selecting yams, look for firm, smooth skin without any bruises or soft spots. Yams can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to several weeks.
Yams are often longer and thicker than sweet potatoes, and they have a rough, bark-like exterior.
Yams are a very nutritious food, as they are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a healthy choice for anyone looking to maintain a healthy weight.