Cooking pork chops. Pork chops can be cooked in many ways, including grilling, baking, pan-searing, or broiling.
Pork chops come from the loin of a pig. They can be bone-in or boneless, and are available in different thicknesses. This may alter the cooking times, but fear not, we have cooking time (and temperature) for you! Translation in French: côte de porc.
How do I cook pork chops?
- Preparing pork chops
- When are pork chops fully cooked?
- Cooking pork chops in a pan
- Cooking pork chops on a grill (barbecued)
- Cooking pork chops in an oven (baked)
- Cooking pork chops in an air fryer
What to pair pork chops with?
Pork chops can be paired with mashed potatoes and roasted zucchinis, mushrooms, green beans, green peas, collard greens or corn, rice pilaf, sweet potato fries or sauteed spinach.
Pork chops are available in most supermarkets and can be sold fresh or frozen. Avoid pork chops that are pale or have excess fat. If you’re purchasing bone-in pork chops, ask the butcher to trim the excess fat and remove the chine bone.
Before cooking, season the pork chops with your favorite seasoning or a simple blend of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
When are pork chops fully cooked?
A pork chop is fully cooked once it has reached an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C).
Cooking pork chops in a pan
Cooking pork chops in a pan. Pan-searing pork chops is a quick way to cook them
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
2. Cook the pork chops for 3-4 minutes per side.
Cooking pork chops on a grill
Cooking pork chops on a grill. You can marinate your pork chops before grilling them (a mixture of honey, mustard, vegetable oil with a bit of Worcestershire sauce is my favorite combo), so that the meat stays juicy.
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Cook the pork chops for 4-5 minutes per side.
Cooking pork chops in an oven
Cooking pork chops in an oven. Rub pork chops in olive oil and season them (salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili… the choice is yours!) before cooking them in the oven. They will stay juicy that way.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Bake the pork chops for 25-30 minutes after putting them in an oven-safe dish.
Cooking pork chops in an air fryer
Cooking pork chops in an air fryer. Air frying pork chops does the job : the meat is crisp on the outside and juicy inside.
1. Preheat your air fryer at 380°F (190°C)
2. Coat the pork chops in vegetable oil (olive oil is great) then add herbs and spices (salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder)
3. Put the pork chops in the air fryer basket (no overlapping; 2 at a time max). Cook for 10 minutes, flipping the pork chops halfway through cooking. Let the chops rest for a few minutes before serving.
The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the pork chops. In doubt, check the internal temperature and see if it has reached 145°F (63°C).