There are many different ways to cook flat beans (also known as Romano green beans or Italian flat green beans), including boiling, steaming, sautéing, grilling, and roasting. Experiment with different cooking methods to find your favorite way to enjoy flat beans: we will give you accurate cooking times and temperatures! Translation in French: haricots plats.
How do I cook flat beans?
- Preparing flat beans
- Cooking flat beans in a pot (in water)
- Cooking flat beans with a steamer
- Cooking flat beans with a pressure cooker
- Cooking flat beans in an oven (roasted)
What to pair flat beans with?
Flat beans can be eaten on their own as a side dish. Serve them with grilled or roasted chicken, pan-seared salmon or halibut, pasta dishes, bean salads. Flat beans can be paired with grilled tomatoes, roasted zucchinis, eggplants, onions, bell peppers.
Preparing flat beans
Here are simple steps to prepare flat beans.
Wash the flat beans thoroughly in cold water to remove any dirt. Next, trim the ends of the beans by cutting off the stem and tail. You can do this by hand or with a knife. If the flat beans are particularly long, you may want to cut them in half or into smaller pieces.
Cook flat beans in pot
Cooking flat beans in a pot. To boil flat beans (cook flat beans in water):
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the flat beans and cook for 10 minutes, or until they’re tender but still slightly crisp.
3. Drain the flat beans and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process.
For frozen flat green beans (cut), the cooking time is 6 minutes after the water starts boiling.
Steamed flat beans
Cooking flat beans with a steamer. To steam flat beans:
1. Place the flat beans in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water.
2. Cover the pot and steam for 7-10 minutes, or until the flat beans are tender.
3. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water.
When using frozen flat beans, steam for 15 minutes.
Pressure cooker flat beans
To steam flat beans with a pressure cooker:
1. Add 2 glasses of water at the bottom of the pressure cooker
2. Add the flat beans to the steamer basket
3. Cook for 4-5 minutes after the cooking pressure has been reached (the pressure valve is usually rotating)
Cooking flat beans in an oven. To roast flat beans (cook flat beans in an oven):
1. Preheat your oven at 400°F (200°C)
2. Toss the flat beans in oil and seasoning
3. Roast for 10-12 minutes until tender and caramelized.
Flat green beans, also known as Romano flat beans or Italian flat green beans, have a flat, wide shape and a delicious, tender texture. They are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium.