Cooking spinach. There are many different ways to cook spinach, such as boiling, sautéing, and steaming. It’s best to cook fresh spinach, but you can also get frozen spinach (they’re usually packed in frozen cubes). However you cook spinach, we have cooking times for you! Translation in French: épinards.
How do I cook spinach?
Cooking fresh spinach
- Cooking fresh spinach in a pot (in water)
- Cooking fresh spinach with a steamer
- Cooking fresh spinach in a pan (sauteed)
Cooking frozen spinach
What to pair spinach with?
Spinach goes well with grilled chicken, roasted turkey, and pan-seared salmon. Feta, goat cheese, and Parmesan are all great options to add some creaminess to sautéed spinach. You can also serve spinach with rice or boiled potatoes.
There’s only one step to prepare fresh spinach:
Wash the spinach thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. Discard wilted or damaged leaves.
If your spinach has tough stems, just remove them (snapping them or cutting them with your fingers).
Wash spinach just before cooking as they don’t keep well when already washed.
Cooking spinach in a pot
Cooking spinach in a pot. Boiling spinach is a quick and easy way to cook it. If you coook spinach in water, you can serve it as a side dish or added to soups. To cook spinach that way, here’s what to do:
1. Put water in a large saucepan and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the spinach (use a spoon to really immerse them)
3. As soon as water starts boiling again (it should take around 2-3 minutes), remove the spinach from the heat with a slotted spoon and plunge them into iced water, then drain.
Cooking spinach in a steamer
Cooking spinach in a steamer. Steaming spinach is a healthy way to cook it: it helps to preserve its nutrients. To steam spinach:
1. Fill a pot with a small amount of water and place a steamer basket inside.
2. Add the spinach to the steamer basket and bring the water to a boil.
3. Let the spinach steam for 3-5 minutes, or until it is tender.
Cooking spinach in a pan
Cooking spinach in a pan. Sauteing spinach is my favorite way to cook it.
1. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a small amount of olive oil.
2. Add the spinach to the pan and stir gently to coat the leaves in oil.
3. Cook the spinach for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it has wilted and is tender to the bite. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cooking spinach in a microwave oven
Cooking frozen spinach in a microwave oven is an easy fix!
1. Put frozen spinach cubes in a microwave-safe container. Do not stack them!
2. Cook for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Cooking frozen spinach in a pan
Cooking frozen spinach in a pan. Another way of preparing frozen spinach is sautéing. To do so:
1. Add a bit of oil or butter to a frying pan (or a regular pan, or a skillet)
2. Over medium heat, add the frozen spinach cubes.
3. Cook for 6-7 minutes stirring occasionally.
Juicing fresh spinach
Though it does not require any cooking, you can also add spinach leaves to your green juices.
My favorite green juice recipe: 2 apples (cored) + 2 kiwis (peeled) + a bit of kale + spinach leaves
Personal piece of advice: don’t add too much spinach to your juice
Spinach shrinks a LOT while cooking.
Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that is packed with nutrients. It is a good source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals such as iron and calcium. Spinach is also high in antioxidants, which may help to protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.