Cooking sweet potatoes. There are many different ways to cook sweet potatoes, including boiling, roasting, grilling, and mashing.
From roasting to grilling, and from baking to boiling, there’s no shortage of delicious ways to enjoy this root vegetable. No matter which method you choose to cook sweet potatoes, we have cooking times for you! Translation in French: patate douce.
How do I cook sweet potatoes?
- Preparing sweet potatoes
- Cooking sweet potatoes in a pot (in water)
- Cooking sweet potatoes in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking sweet potatoes on a grill (barbecued)
- Cooking mashed sweet potatoes
Preparing sweet potatoes
To prepare sweet potatoes:
Wash the sweet potatoes, then peel them using a vegetable peeler.
Slice them into rounds, cubes, or thin spears, depending on how you want to cook them.
Cooking sweet potatoes in an oven
Cooking sweet potatoes in an oven. Here are the simple steps to roasting sweet potatoes:
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
2. Place sweet potato slices in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper to the bowl and toss the sweet potato slices to coat them evenly.
4. Spread the sweet potato slices out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
5. Roast the sweet potatoes for 20-25 minutes, or until they are tender and golden brown.
Roasted sweet potatoes can be added cold to any mixed salad (try one with arugula, cherry tomatoes halved and cooked shrimp: it’s great!)
Cooking sweet potatoes in a pot
Cooking sweet potatoes in a pot. Boiling sweet potatoes is a quick and easy way to cook them, and it helps to preserve their nutrients. To boil sweet potatoes:
1. Peel and cut them into 1-inch cubes
2. Place them in a pot of boiling water for 10-15 minutes, or until they are tender.
Cooking sweet potatoes on a grill
Cooking sweet potatoes on a grill. Grilling sweet potatoes is another great way to cook them, and it gives them a smoky, caramelized flavor. To grill sweet potatoes:
1. Slice them into 1/4-inch slices and brush them with a little olive oil.
2. Place the slices on a hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are tender and slightly charred.
Cooking mashed sweet potatoes
Cooking mashed sweet potatoes. Mashing sweet potatoes is a simple and tasty way to enjoy them. To mash sweet potatoes:
1. Boil sweet potatoes until they are tender
2. Mash them with a little butter and milk until they reach your desired consistency. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious and delicious root vegetable that are packed with nutrients. They are high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. They are also a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect your body from free radicals and reduce the risk of certain diseases.