There are several different ways to cook red beans, including boiling, simmering, roasting and pressure cooking. Whatever you choose, we have cooking times and cooking temperatures for you! Red beans, also known as kidney beans, are often used in many dishes such as soups, stews, and salads. Translation in French: haricots rouges.
How do I cook kidney beans?
Cooking dry kidney beans (soaked overnight)
Cooking unsoaked kidney beans
Cooking canned kidney beans
What to pair kidney beans with?
Kidney beans pair well with grilled chicken, roasted beef, and slow-cooked pork.
Serve kidney beans over a bed of rice or with a side of quinoa or bulgur.
Kidney beans taste great with roasted bell peppers, onions, or sauteed carrots.
Preparing kidney beans
Here are simple steps to prepare kidney beans. Before anything, soak them in water for at least 8 hours or overnight: it will drastically reduce your cooking time (it softens the beans).
If you use canned kidney beans, just rinse and drain them.
Cook kidney beans in pot
Cooking kidney beans in a pot. Boiling kidney beans is quite long, but far less than if you forgot to soak them overnight.
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil
2. Add the soaked kidney beans. Cook for 2-3 hours, or until they’re tender.
Pressure cooker kidney beans
Cooking kidney beans with a pressure cooker. Using a pressure cooker is super convenient and saves time and energy… especially for cooking kidney beans.
1. Put your pre-soaked kidney beans in the pressure cooker. Cover with water
2. Cook for at least 45 minutes (up to 2 hours)
Slow cooker kidney beans
Cooking kidney beans in a slow cooker. Cooking kidney beans is a slow process. Why not use a slow cooker to do it? You can even cook other vegetables or meat at the same time!
1. Place the beans in a slow cooker with enough water to cover them
2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until they’re tender.
Cook kidney beans in pan
Cooking kidney beans in a pan. Canned beans are the best. Just use them to cook them in a pan (sauté)
1. After rinsing and draining the red beans, add them to a pan with a bit of oil or butter.
2. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until they’re warm enough.
Roasted kidney beans
Cooking kidney beans in an oven. Use canned beans to make roasted kidney beans : they’re a great snack!
1. Simply rinse your kidney beans in water with a colander
2. Toss them with olive oil and your favorite spices
3. Roast in the oven at 425°F (220°C) for 20 minutes until crispy.
Kidney beans are a good source of dietary fiber. They are an excellent source of plant-based protein, are low in fat, making them a healthy alternative to high-fat animal proteins. Kidney beans also contain antioxidants