There are different ways to cook black-eyed peas (also known as cowpeas or southern peas), but the main one is boiling. You can also use a slow cooker or a pressure cooker. Whatever you choose, we have cooking times and temperatures for you!
I gotta feeling that you’re going to enjoy cooking black eyed peas! Translation in French: cornille.
Black eyed peas
How do I cook black eyed peas?
- Preparing black eyed peas
- Cooking black eyed peas in a pot (in water)
- Cooking black eyed peas with a slow cooker
- Cooking black eyed peas with a pressure cooker
What to pair black eyed peas with?
Black-eyed peas pair well with smoked ham, bacon, and sausage. Serve black-eyed peas over a bed of rice or with a side of cornbread. Black-eyed peas taste great with collard greens, sauteed carrots, or okra.
Preparing black eyed peas
Before cooking black-eyed peas, it is important to rinse them thoroughly in a colander under running water. You can also soak the peas in water overnight to reduce the cooking time and make them more tender.
Cook black eyed peas in pot
Cooking black eyed peas in water. Boiling black eyed peas is a simple stovetop method to cook them:
1. Rinse 1 cup of black-eyed peas and sort through to remove any debris. Soak the peas overnight in 4 cups of water, or for at least 6 hours, to help reduce the cooking time.
2. Drain the soaked peas and transfer them to a pot. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover the pot and let cook for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you didn’t soak the peas, boil for 1-2 hours instead (or until they’re tender).
Cook black eyed peas slow cooker
Cooking black-eyed peas with a slow cooker. Got time? Why don’t you put your slow cooker to use? The peas will be cooked to perfection.
1. Place the peas in a slow cooker with enough water to cover them
2. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until they’re tender.
Cook black eyed peas pressure cooker
Cooking black-eyed peas with a pressure cooker. A quick and efficient way of cooking black eyed peas!
1. Drain the peas and transfer them to a pot. Add 3 cups of water and shut the pressure cooker.
2. When the pressure valve starts spinning, count 20-25 minutes, then release pressure. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Black-eyed peas, also known as cowpeas, are a staple in Southern cuisine. They are small, creamy beans with a black spot on one end, and are a good source of protein, fiber, and iron.