Cooking red cabblage. How do you cook red cabbage?
There are several different ways to cook red cabbage, including boiling, steaming, sautéing, and roasting. Whatever cooking method should you choose, we will give you cooking times!
Red cabbage, also known as purple cabbage, is… red (or purple) and has a slightly bitter flavor. Translation in French: chou rouge.
How do I cook red cabbage?
- Preparing red cabbage
- Cooking red cabbage in a pot (in water)
- Cooking red cabbage with a steamer
- Cooking red cabbage in a pan (sauteed)
- Cooking red cabbage in an oven (roasted)
What to pair red cabbage with?
Red cabbage goes really well with apples, black pudding, and pork roast!
Preparing red cabbage
Here are simple steps to prepare red cabbage:
Remove any tough or damaged outer leaves
Wash the cabbage under cold running water to remove any dirt or debris.
Cut the cabbage in half through the core and remove the core with a sharp knife. Then slice or chop the cabbage as desired for the recipe you are making (thin strips or bite-sized chunks).
Rinse the sliced or chopped cabbage under cold running water and then pat it dry.
Cooking red cabbage in a pot
Cooking red cabbage in a pot. Boiling red cabbage is an easy way of cooking it. Here’s how to do it:
1. Rinse the red cabbage under cold water and slice it into thin wedges.
2. In a large pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add salt.
3. Add the red cabbage to the boiling water and let it cook for 10-15 minutes, or until it is tender.
Cooking red cabbage with a steamer
Cooking red cabbage with a steamer. Steaming red cabbage is a great way of cooking it without adding any fat. To do so, here’s what you should do:
1. Place the green cabbage leaves in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water
2. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until it is tender.
Cooking red cabbage in a pan
Cooking red cabbage in a pan. Here are the steps to follow to sauté red cabbage:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Optional: Add chopped onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they are softened.
2. Add the sliced red cabbage to the pan and season it with salt and pepper.
3. Sauté the red cabbage for 5-7 minutes, or until it is tender and starting to caramelize.
Cooking red cabbage in an oven
Cooking red cabbage in an oven. Roasting is a great way to caramelize the natural sugars in red cabbage and bring out its flavor.
1. Preheat the oven at 400°F (200°C).
2. Cut the cabbage into wedges, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and caramelized.
Red cabbage is a nutritious vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants.
Chemical experiment after boiling red cabbage
Once you’ve boiled your red cabbage, why wouldn’t you do chemical experiments with your children?
Did you know that red cabbage juice is a color indicator?
The juice changes color with the pH of the solution it is added to (like litmus paper)
Prepare different solutions: bleach, water + baking soda, soda water, water + sugar, water + lemon juice, hydrochloric acid (please be careful and operate under adult supervision) + any other solution you might want to test out
You’ll see the red cabbage juice change color giving you an entire palette! Enjoy (science)!