Cooking tofu. Tofu is made from soybeans. You can use in Asian, vegan or vegeterian cuisine. Why don’t you air fry, roast or sauté tofu? Translation in French : tofu.
How do I cook tofu?
- Preparing tofu
- Cooking tofu with an air fryer
- Cooking tofu in the oven (baked)
- Cooking tofu in a pan
- Cooking tofu in a microwave oven
Here’s what to do to prepare tofu before cooking it: If it’s firm tofu, simply drain the liquid from the package. If needed, you can press it (honestly, I never bought a tofu press and just use my hands whenever a recipe calls for it)
Cooking tofu with an air fryer
Cooking tofu with an air fryer. Here’s my recipe:
1. Heat your air fryer at 400°F (200°C).
2. Take a package of firm tofu. Squeeze out the water and cut it into cubes. Put the cubes in your air fryer basket. Add soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic powder.
3. Cook for 20 minutes, giving the basket a toss halfway through. Add salt, pepper and Kewpie mayo + chilli sauce. Enjoy!
Cooking tofu in the oven
Cooking tofu in the oven. Use firm tofu and roast it. You can then add sauce…
1. Preheat the oven at 400°F (200°C)
2. Place the diced tofu (choose firm tofu) in an oven-safe dish. Add a little olive oil and cornstarch. Season to taste. Cook for 20 minutes.
What sauce should I add? Take your pick!
Teriyaki sauce is made with 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp cane sugar. Add cornstarch and boiling water. Mix well.
Peanut sauce is made with 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp curry powder and 1 tsp sugar. Add cornstarch and coconut milk. Mix well
Cooking tofu in a pan
Cooking tofu in a pan might be the easiest way to cook it.
1. Cut drained firm tofu cut into cubes (1-inch is ok)
2. Add 2tbsp of vegetable oil to a pan and heat the pan.
3. Cook the tofu cubes for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Add your sauce afterwards.
Cooking tofu in a microwave oven
Cooking tofu in a microwave oven is quick!
1. Use firm tofu cut into strips. Set them in a microwave oven safe dish.
2. Coat the strips well with the sauce of your choice (chilli? spicy? lemon sauce? peanut satay? teriyaki?). If the strips touch each other with no sauce, they may stick to one another (if that happens, you’ll solve the problem later on when you add more sauce to your preparation)
3. Cook for 5 minutes (check regularly, you don’t want hard to chew strips!)
Tofu comes in different textures, ranging from soft and silken to firm and extra-firm. The texture is determined by the amount of whey removed and the firmness of the tofu curds. In terms of nutrition, tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein and contains all nine essential amino acids required by the human body. It is also a good source of iron, calcium, and other essential minerals. Tofu is low in saturated fat and cholesterol-free, making it a healthy option for various diets.