Cooking chickpeas or garbanzo beans is easy : they can be bought dry, in a can or a jar. There are several ways to cook chickpeas: boiling, pressure cooking, roasting or even air frying. No matter which method you choose to cook chickpeas, we have cooking times and temperatures for you! Translation in French: Pois chiches.
How do I cook chickpeas?
- Preparing chickpeas
- Cooking chickpeas in a pot
- Cooking chickpeas with a pressure cooker
- Cooking chickpeas in an oven (roasted)
- Cooking chickpeas with an air fryer
What to pair chickpeas with?
Chickpeas are a staple ingredient in many Indian curries. They pair well with spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric, and can be cooked with spinach, cauliflower, and potatoes. Chickpeas also make a great addition to salads. Toss them with greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and your favorite dressing.
Preparing chickpeas. If you’re using dry chickpeas, the first step in preparing chickpeas is to sort and rinse them. Sort through the beans to remove any debris or stones that may have found their way into the bag. Then rinse the chickpeas under cold running water to remove any dirt or impurities.
After rinsing, soak the chickpeas overnight in a large bowl of cold water. This step is important because it helps to soften the beans and reduce the cooking time. Alternatively, you can use the quick soak method by boiling the beans for 5-10 minutes and then letting them soak for an hour.
With cooked chickpeas in a jar or a can, simply drain them and rinse. The water in the can/jar can be used (it is called aquafaba)
Aquafaba is the liquid in which chickpeas were cooked: it can be used as a vegan replacement for egg whites in chocolate mousse or meringues.
Cook chickpeas in a pot
Cooking chickpeas in a pot. Using dry chickpeas, you need to cook them first! To boil chickpeas:
1. Drain the soaking water and transfer the beans to a large pot.
2. Add enough water to cover the beans by about an inch and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
Cook chickpeas pressure cooker
Cooking chickpeas with a pressure cooker. To pressure cook chickpeas:
1. Drain the soaking water and transfer the beans to a pressure cooker.
2. Add enough water to cover the beans by about an inch and cook on high pressure for 20-30 minutes.
3. Allow the pressure to release naturally before opening the cooker.
Cooking chickpeas in an oven. Roasted chickpeas are a healthy and delicious snack:
1. Simply rinse your chickpeas with a colander
2. Toss them with olive oil and your favorite spices
3. Roast in the oven at 425°F (220°C) for 20 minutes until crispy.
Air fryer chickpeas
Cooking chickpeas with an air fryer. You can use your air fryer to prepare toasted chickpeas. Just use already cooked chickpeas (whether you just drain store-bought chickpeas or you cook your own)
1. Heat air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Sprinkle with olive oil and spices of your choosing (I like to use a fajita seasoning kit).
3. Put the chickpeas in the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes (shake a couple of times in between)
Chickpeas are a staple ingredient in many cuisines around the world. They are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients, making them an excellent addition to any diet.
What’s the difference between Black Eyed Peas and Chickpeas?
Black Eyed Peas can sing us a song and Chickpeas can only Hummus one